Museums & History
Richmond | Wayne County, Indiana has a vast array of Museums and History. From History Museums to Art Museums and everything in between, you'll be sure to learn something new!
Did you know Richmond, Indiana has the only two permanent mummy displays in the state of Indiana?
A public memorial was built to honor those who served in Vietnam. A POW/MIA memorial from the when the traveling wall memorial came through Wayne County, a stone listing the number of those who died in Vietnam, and a statue of the military rifle and boots are all included surrounded by Indiana stones. Please respectfully visit the site at this residential home and take pictures. Parking is a
The Museum features items from Clay and other Wayne County Townships, photos, a genealogy library, and more. Be sure to notice the post clock that stands outside the museum. Be sure to visit the memorial garden and gazebo. Donations accepted.
Over the years a total of 29 covered bridges were built in Preble County, Ohio. Today, seven covered bridges remain including the oldest bridge in the state of Ohio.
A national liberal arts college of 1,200, the College's mission still reflects the influence of the Quakers who founded it in 1847; enabling students to engage a changing world.
An extensive collection of Quaker genealogy. Special holdings include the Herbert Hoover Peace Studies Collection. Earlham is a Library of Congress selected depository of government documents.
Picture yourself living in an elegant Victorian Mansion, then tour the Gaar House and Farm Museum to see what life was like during that era. The home was built by Agnes and Abram Gaar in 1876. Garden and pool area available for special events. Admission is charged.
The Gennett Records branch of the now-defunct Starr Piano Company is well-known for its groundbreaking recordings of numerous jazz pioneers like Louis Armstrong, Hoagy Carmichael, Jelly Roll Morton and Duke Ellington. Once located on the banks of the Whitewater River in the center of Richmond, Gennett Records also recorded many pioneers in other styles of American music. Blues artist Thomas A.
Historic Cambridge City is located on the National Road in the heart of Antique Alley. It is the home to more than 12 quality antique shops and malls, beautifully restored homes, Museum of Overbeck Art Potter, cozy local eateries and a bed and breakfast. In the mid 19th century, the Whitewater Canal flowed from Cambridge City to Cincinnati transporting freight and passengers.
A grouping of 19th and early 20th century industrial structures. Today, these buildings house antique stores, a microbrewery, fabulous locally owned restaurants, unique shops, murals, Model T Museum, coffee house, and more!
The museum pays tribute to early automotive history as well as a 1913 mural painted by Charles Newcomb.
Travelers along Indiana's historic National Road will see landscapes marked by the heyday of the 1840s to the 1940s. Historic villages with traditional Main Streets give way to rural pastures. From Federal-style "Pike Towns" and Victorian Streetcar neighborhoods to authentic mile markers and family-owned diners, follow the migration of the nation.
As a traveling missionary and preacher, Quinn helped establish the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) in free and slave states before the Civil War. He influenced the faith, community, and education of thousands of black Americans by organizing schools and churches, including Bethel here in 1836. In 1844, the AME General Conference elected him its Fourth Bishop.
A transportation center, platted 1836 along the Whitewater River, the Cumberland/National Road, and the Whitewater Canal route. Four steam railroads served the town; interurban electric railroad opened 1903. Cambridge City Historic District listed in National Register, 1991.
Civil War training camp for the then 5th Congressional District was located on the old fairgrounds. The 16th, 36th, 57th, 69th, 74th, 84th, and 124th regiments of Indiana Volunteers were organized and trained here.
A political leader defined by his moral convictions, Julian (1817-1899) advocated for abolition, equal rights and land reform, during a period marked by slavery, Civil War, monopolies, and discrimination against blacks, immigrants, and women. As U.S.
A convention was called for by reform-minded Congregational Friends meeting at Greensboro, Henry County, January 1851. Convention held October 14-15, 1851 at Dublin adopted resolutions for political, social, and financial rights for women. Women and men who favored abolition, temperance, and suffrage attended.