Museums & History
Richmond | Wayne County, Indiana has a vast array of Museums and History. From History Museums to Art Museums and everything in between, you'll be sure to learn something new!
Did you know Richmond, Indiana has the only two permanent mummy displays in the state of Indiana?
A public memorial was built to honor those who served in Vietnam. A POW/MIA memorial from the when the traveling wall memorial came through Wayne County, a stone listing the number of those who died in Vietnam, and a statue of the military rifle and boots are all included surrounded by Indiana stones. Please respectfully visit the site at this residential home and take pictures. Parking is a
The Museum features items from Clay and other Wayne County Townships, photos, a genealogy library, and more. Be sure to notice the post clock that stands outside the museum. Be sure to visit the memorial garden and gazebo. Donations accepted.
Over the years a total of 29 covered bridges were built in Preble County, Ohio. Today, seven covered bridges remain including the oldest bridge in the state of Ohio.
A national liberal arts college of 1,200, the College's mission still reflects the influence of the Quakers who founded it in 1847; enabling students to engage a changing world.
An extensive collection of Quaker genealogy. Special holdings include the Herbert Hoover Peace Studies Collection. Earlham is a Library of Congress selected depository of government documents.
Picture yourself living in an elegant Victorian Mansion, then tour the Gaar House and Farm Museum to see what life was like during that era. The home was built by Agnes and Abram Gaar in 1876. Garden and pool area available for special events. Admission is charged.
The Gennett Records branch of the now-defunct Starr Piano Company is well-known for its groundbreaking recordings of numerous jazz pioneers like Louis Armstrong, Hoagy Carmichael, Jelly Roll Morton and Duke Ellington. Once located on the banks of the Whitewater River in the center of Richmond, Gennett Records also recorded many pioneers in other styles of American music. Blues artist Thomas A.
The town is located along the National Road in the heart of Antique Alley. It is the home to 12 antique shops and malls, beautifully restored homes, cozy eateries and a bed and breakfast. In the mid 19th century, the Whitewater Canal flowed from Cambridge City to Cincinnati transporting freight and passengers. Join us the first weekend after Labor Day for Canal Days.
A grouping of 19th and early 20th century industrial structures. Today, these buildings house antique stores, a microbrewery, fabulous locally owned restaurants, unique shops, murals, Model T Museum, coffee house, and more!
Travelers along Indiana's historic National Road will see landscapes marked by the heyday of the 1840s to the 1940s. Historic villages with traditional Main Streets give way to rural pastures. From Federal-style "Pike Towns" and Victorian Streetcar neighborhoods to authentic mile markers and family-owned diners, follow the migration of the nation.
Owned and restored by Indiana Landmarks, the museum operates as the National Road Heritage Site, where exhibits offer modern-day travelers a vivid picture of cross-country travel on the Historic National Road from Cumberland, Maryland to Vandalia, Illinois -- from the pioneer era to the present.
Dedicated to the sport and its Indiana heroes, the Football Hall of Fame features displays and memorabilia from Indiana High School, Collegiate and Professional athletes. The purpose is to establish scholarships and endowments for excellences in football in the State of Indiana.
An Egyptian mummy and giant prehistoric mammals captivate audiences of all ages. Learn about the fossils for which Richmond is world famous. Delight in the educational and fun hands-on exhibits. Gift shop available.
Ralph Teetor Planetarium located inside the museum. Catch a glimpse of the stars and planets and learn more about constellations.
In commemoration of pioneer mothers of the covered wagon days, this statue is the ninth link in the Great National Shrine erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution along the National Road Trail. There are only 12 statues linked along US 40 from Bethesda, Maryland, to Upland, California. The Richmond statue was dedicated in 1928 by a little-known Missouri judge, Harry S. Truman.
The Mansion House was built in 1840 pioneer-era as an upscale hotel inn and also served as the office for the Western Stage Company where stagecoaches changed horses. The Mansion house became a museum in 1967 when it was acquired by the Wayne County Historical Museum and later purchased by Historic Centerville, inc. 1975. 2017 marks 50 years as a museum!